Something came up and now Ian needs his Mustang ASAP, in order to have a car available to drive around–his wife went out of state to visit a sick relative, and this Bullitt is one of the only two vehicles his family owns. So we got the whole crew on it to get this Mustang drivable for him to take home for the weekend, and we worked late to do it! He’s the crew reassembling the necessary components.
Here we are dealing with the rust we found in Ian’s Bullitt. Pat is painting on rust converter on the cowl vent, on the dash, underneath the side scoops on the outside, etc. The rust isn’t deep, so it should convert OK and that will be it.
We’re testing Ian’s cowl here, pouring water through the cowl vents and flooding it out. The first time we had a few leaks, so we re-did the fiberglass repair, and tested it again. The second time, the inside stayed dry (the run lines are actually rust converter that ran while still wet ), so that’s a great thing.
We’re doing a lot of treatment to Ian’s Bullitt, making sure it doesn’t have any hidden damage that will show itself later on. So we’re removing the side vents and inspecting them, as well as under the dash and especially the cowls. We did a lot of grinding to get rid of the rust and check the strength of the metal, and then began rust-converting everything.
Here we have two things going on Ian’s Bullitt: first, we’re repairing his rusted and damaged cowl, and you can see the cowl ring repair kits we’ve purchased as well as mounting nuts, and second, we’re treating the floorpans for rust and laying down insulation. There are some before and after floorpan pictures for you to see what we’ve done.
Hey all! We got this parts in about two weeks ago for Ian’s Rack and Pinion steering system upgrade, check them out.
Uh-oh! We’ve found a leak! Two actually: in the rear quarter air scoops and in the cowl–the cowl is particularly susceptible to leaking on these old Mustangs, but its nothing we haven’t handled before. Ian and his sons, under Timbo’s supervision, began disassembling the interior to begin the repairs. They have the steering wheel and instrument cluster off now so we can reach up into the cowl to treat and repair the rust and damage. The side scoops simply didn’t have the proper seals, so that shouldn’t be a difficult fix.
Ian and his sons have been visiting us at our MustangOnlyOne shop and working on Ian’s Bullitt! We just received the parts necessary for Ian’s air conditioning upgrade, so he’ll be installing that under our supervision. Keep an eye out on our progress!